Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Colt's Birth Story

A VERRRY long post~

I thought this should get written down before I forget anymore of the details than have already been lost. I think after a certain period of time you only remember the good stuff with the sweet nothings, but that might not be a bad thing.

We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 6am Friday, October 1st for our 8 am C-Section. My parents got into town Tuesday evening and planned on following us there just in case they took me in earlier than 8am. Of course, Thursday night I was running around finishing up last minute things that I just felt needed to be done. Our bag was packed, cameras charged and everything set up to get ready the next morning. I went to bed around 10pm, anxious and excited.

Around 11:45pm I was woken by a sharp pain, not a contraction just a sharp pain. After getting up and using the restroom I tried a different position to go back to sleep. Within minutes another sharp pain with me trying to scoot off the bed and my water broke. Since I couldn't get comfortable by myself in bed, the hubby was sleeping upstairs in an extra bedroom, so I called him on his cell phone. LOL!!! I really thought he was going to hurt himself running down the stairs so quickly.

He brought me the phone and I called the hospital to "confirm" my water broke. TMI warning- there was some pinkish red blood so I was very nervous, but remembered reading somewhere that was normal. Of course, they said it all sounded normal, but to head to the hospital. Within minutes, contractions started and they were strong. No easing you into labor after your water breaks. Everybody got themselves dressed and ready and we headed out. I was of course disappointed with no shower, no makeup, no looking cute for this delivery as I had planned. There was barely enough time for me to wash my face and brush my teeth, let alone get clothes on. There were no pictures in the same location as there were with Walker's delivery, everybody smiling and getting ready to go to the hospital. There was alot of anxiety and nervousness this was not what was planned, or at least our plan. God and Colt had their own plan, October 1st was to be his birthday regardless of what was scheduled.

We arrived at the hospital around 12:45-1:00am and it was confirmed that my water did break and we were in labor, but although contractions were strong and regular about 5-6 minutes apart I was not dialated. They offered me meds to slow/stop my contractions and ease the pain so we could wait for my scheduled c-section time and my favorite doctor to arrive. Of course, I accepted.

This worked until around 5-5:30 am, when nothing seemed to stopped the contractions or the pain. The were increasing in strength and coming closer together. They ended up being 2-3 minutes apart and lasting over a minute long, it seemed like they were back to back. The on-call doctor was called again and she was going to start heading to the hospital, my original doctor was being tracked down.

They offered me an epidural somewhere around 6:30ish, by this time I had forgotten to pay attention to the clock and was just trying to get through the contractions. I had alot of concerns and questions as to getting an epidural instead of waiting for the spinal. After many questions, which must have seemed silly to the anesthesiologist, I begged for the epidural. WOW - what a difference that made- whew!!!

I give credit to ALL women who labor and give birth without an epidural, holy cow you are amazing women.

Finally, both doctors showed up and got the show on the road, we were wheeled into the operating room around 7:30ish (again not watching the clock) and Colton Jeffrey was born at exactly 8am. He started screaming from the minute his head was outside my womb, what a glorious sound it was. He had a healthy set of lungs on him, God had blessed him with sound!!!

My first view of my son...
Can you hear those lungs working?


Oh those cheeks~
Mommy and Colt


Our beautiful sweet baby boy, he is truly heaven sent.